Sunday, February 22, 2009

We're up and running... kind of

Ok! Welcome to my new blog. It's still under construction while I continue to learn about html in order to make this a pretty place. So, for awhile it will be a surprise every time you return!

I'll start out by introducing myself. My name is Lauren, and I'm addicted to crafting. I was told the first step to admitting you have a problem is admitting it. Well, I've admitted it, but the only thing to do about it is to keep on crafting.

I currently live in Michigan with my mostly wonderful husband, 2 crazy cats, and a nutty dog. All in all, they keep my pretty entertained. I'm not currently employed by a regular day job, so I occupy myself with Etsy.

It has recently become my dream to just not have a day job, and spend the rest of my life crafting. My husband was not so keen on that idea since he didn't think it will ever bring in enough income. So, after much arguing and stress, I expanded my dream. I have decided to open a completely local handmade shop. It will feature not only myself, but local handcrafters from my town and the closely surrounding areas. Since joining Etsy I have been overwhelmed at the support for the handmade lifestyle. Especially with the economy so low, it is imperitive to support US made goods, and even more importantly state and local made goods. With so many people trying to add extra income by selling handmade items, I think that it is the finest form of patriotism to by from your neighbors. Afterall, every business has to start out with 1 person just trying to make a living. And that's what we all deserve.

In light of all of this, I have made it my vow to support my fellow crafters and artists. My husband is happier with this dream of mine. Now I have to listen to him go on and on about demographic and market research, business plans and real estate locations. But, at least he is now contributing.

My new and latest addiction has been the Etsy forums. I recently posted a thread asking for advice on what people would like in a handmade shop. See below to contribute to the forum, or feel free to leave comments here. I would love to hear your suggestions!
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6052444

Ok, well that was long winded enough for one post. I will be back shortly. Hopefully with a new blog feature to accompany the post!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you back soon!

1 comment: